The Walker Memorial Library began as one of the earliest social libraries in Maine. It was originally established in 1802 as the Falmouth Social Library of Saccarappa Village. In 1866, after many successful years of operation, the library became inactive. In 1891, Joseph Walker, a former resident of Westbrook, bequeathed a fund for the establishment of a public library building. He asked that the library be called the Memorial Library. The new library was accepted by the City of Westbrook on May 26, 1894.