RULES OF CONDUCT
Welcome to the Walker Memorial Library. We are committed to preserving a safe and welcoming environment for all visitors to the library.
Visitors are expected to comply with the following Rules of Conduct while in the building and/or on library premises and may be asked to leave if non-compliant.
Act legally and ethically.
- Improper or illegal behavior in the library and on library grounds is prohibited. Engaging in such behavior may result in police involvement and possible prosecution.
- Do not harass patrons or staff, or use or display obscene, threatening or abusive language.
- No smoking or vaping of any kind is allowed on library premises.
- Do not use or bring into the library alcohol or any other intoxicating substances; do not enter the library while impaired by the use of alcohol, drugs or other substances.
- No weapons of any type are allowed on library premises.
Use spaces and resources as they are intended.
- Food and beverages are prohibited in the Eleanor Conant Saunders Reading Room and the Westbrook Room.
- Excluding the historic wing of the library, covered drinks are allowed – except near public computers.
- Shoes and shirts are required to be worn at all times.
- Theft, defacing, damaging, or misusing library property will be prosecuted.
- Sleeping is not allowed.
- Soliciting is prohibited.
Be considerate of other Library users.
- Eleanor Conant Saunders Reading Room and the Westbrook Room are quiet spaces; cell phone use is prohibited.
- Cell phone use must not disrupt the quiet use of the library.
- Use of personal electronic devices or headphones must not be disruptive to others in the library.
- Strong odors, such as body odor, unwashed clothing, and strong-smelling perfumes and colognes are prohibited.
Do not engage in any conduct which:
- Interferes with the safety of others in the library or on the library’s grounds.
- Is inconsistent with the purpose of the library.
- Disrupts the orderly operation of the library.
- Interferes with the use of the library by others.
Animals are not allowed in the library, with the exception of trained service animals.
Children under the age of eight and dependent persons must always be attended by a responsible adult.
The library’s interior and exterior are under recorded surveillance for your safety and security.
Approved by the Library Board of Regents and Walker Trustees on November 15, 2018