WALKER MEMORIAL LIBRARY SOCIAL MEDIA POLICY
Walker Memorial Library participates in the use of social media services as a way to share information, news, library services, and library programs. The official source of information about Walker Memorial Library is our website: https://walkerlibrary.org.
Social media services are defined as any website or application that enables the sharing of information. Social media services can include, but are not limited to, blog posts, website pages, and social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest).
Promotional E-mail & Newsletter Communications
By providing an e-mail address, library account holders agree to receive notification e-mails about requested and borrowed items.
By agreeing to subscribe to a promotional e-mail list, library account holders agree to receive notification e-mails about new materials and/or the bi-monthly newsletters.
Users have the right to remove their e-mail address on their library account and/or unsubscribe to any e-mail lists.
Parental Controls and Privacy
The library’s website does not collect nor maintain any personally identifiable information of a person visiting our website. As commonly practiced with most websites, only the number of page views and clicks are recorded for library statistics. Users may remove or unsubscribe themselves at any time from the library’s social networking page and e-mail lists. Users should be aware that third party websites have their own privacy statements and policies. Users are encouraged to proceed accordingly.
The library has partnered with reputable third-party vendors in order to provide online services to library patrons. When library patrons decide to use one of our third-party vendors, they are encouraged to become familiar with the third-party vendors’ privacy statement.
Library Patrons and User Expectations
The use of social media services is intended to create welcoming and inviting online spaces where library staff can interact with the community. The library recognizes and respects differences in opinion. If you choose to share comments and opinions, you are agreeing to the following terms:
- Communicate with respect. Any graphic, obscene, explicit, and abusive comments are not tolerated.
- Act legally and ethically. We do not allow comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity.
- Be aware of privacy. Participation is at your own risk. While, as a user, you are personally responsible for comments, usernames, and any information you provide, you are encouraged not to post personally identifiable information.
The library has the right to remove comments or posts that include:
- Obscene, explicit, and abusive content
- Copyright violations
- Commercial materials or spam, solicitations, advertisements, or endorsements (including financial or non-governmental agencies)
- Libelous statements
- Personal information published without the consent of the individual
- Photos or images unrelated to the library
- Hyperlinks unrelated to the library
Violation of these terms may result in warnings or exclusions from the library’s social media services.
Terms of Agreement
By participating in the library’s social media services, you agree to follow all library policies, including Computer Use and Safety Policy and the terms of service of third-party vendors. If you do not agree to use these terms, please refrain from using our site.
Approved by the Library Board of Regents and Walker Trustees on June 21, 2018